Lockne parish

Lockne parish adjoins Brunflo and Marieby in the north, Bodsjö and Revsund in the south, Näs in the west and Sundsjö in the east. To the west Lockne once again meets Brunflo and Revsund. Lockne parish embraces 32 354 acres.

None of the villages in Lockne parish is younger than 500 years - many from the nineth century or older. In the villages of Nordanberg and Tramsta there are old grave-monds. Among other finds there is an old axe from outside the village of Valne.

The oldest dokuments about Lockne we know of are parish lists over Jamtland from the years 1314 and 1316. In the fifteenth century Lockne is then mentioned as an annex-parish to Brunflo. The Black Death might explain this - there are lots of abandoned farms from this time, so there could have been to few left to maintain Lockne as an autonomus parish.

Lockne parish surrounds Locknesjön (Lake Lockne), which is very rich in fish of high quality, although the lake has no feeder stream from the mountain area. Only a little stream - Musån - feeds the lake from Mussjön (Lake mouse). But the saying is that there are deep holes in the bottom that supply the lake with fresh water. A legend tells about hidden connections with the sea. Two herrings (salt water fish) should have been fetched in Locknesjön. The seal of the parish shows two fishes - maby herrings?


The text on the seal says "Lockne socken sigill" - The seal of Lockne parish.

There is also a legend from the out-lying farms of the village of Haga, Espnäs and Döviken - Hållsta - that tells of a church east of Hållstasjön (Lake Hållsta). Today there are no trases from this church. Although, it must be on the doorway of this church that they carved the picture of the two herrings from Locknesjön.
Loknesjön stretches 15 kilometers from the north to the south, and at each end it is verry stony. This was once caused by two fighting giants, who threw rocks at each other. The nothern giant won, so there are more and bigger stones in the southern end of the lake.

Haga village is situated at the east side of Locknesjön. The landscape of Haga is hilly and verry stony. Although, east of Haga there are good cultivable ground. There is a rock called Bru
dhällen (The Bride Rock) east of Haga, between Haga and Hållsta. The legend tells that a bride was in a hurry to reach the church in time for her wedding. Thereby she took a short cut via Brudhällen. She rode in full gallop, the horse slipped on the flat rock why she fell and broke her neck. From that incident the rock got its name. 

Through Lockne parish the pilgrims made their way to the Saint Olof Cathedral in Trondheim. Before reaching Haga the pilgrimage then advanced towards Locknesjön along the east side of Revsundssjön (Lake Revsund). On this path they might rest at a well beside a big rock called Kryckkyrkan (Crutch-Church). The sick and crippled that drunk from the water got cured and threw their crutches. A stipulation was that a sacrifice then was to be spent to the rock - Kryckyrkan.

With the pilgrims the name Olof became far more common in Jamtland and Tröndelag than other Christian names. One of many examples is Olof from Haga, who signed the debt of 600 Mark to Uppsala cathedral. This happened in Mordviken (Murder-bay) in April 14, 1410. Among representatives from the whole of Jamtland, Olof was forced by Queen Margaretha (1353-1412) of Norway, Denmark and Sweden to sign the debt. Later this Olof and his sister Helga inherited half of Goetha Thand estate in Lockne. 

Although the stony landscape of Lockne is a hindrance to cultivation of the ground, it has come to use in other areas. One example is a fireproof rock (loftersten) that has been used in manufacturing of stoves. Another example for use is the frequent limestone. Lockne also is famous for its artists, for example the master-carver of baroque and rococo Johan Edler senior (1734-1797).

When the Swedes had decided to found a city in Jamtland, governor Rosenheim argued in 1777 that the village of Ede in Lockne parish would be a suitable place. One argument against this might have been the stony landscape. But, when the city of Sundsvall burned down in 1889, the limestone of Lockne was of use to rebuild the town.

Read more in The Lockne calendar.